How to Properly Clean Your Glasses
Cleaning your glasses on a daily basis is important in preventing smudges, scratches or other irreversible damage to your lenses and frames. Eyeglass care kits and lens wipes available at Shopko Optical are a convenient and affordable option to clean your lenses. Alternatively, by following a few simple steps highlighted below, you can improve the clarity of your lenses easily at home.
Wash Your Hands Thoroughly
1. Wash and rinse your hands thoroughly with water and oil-free soap to make sure your hands are free from dirt or grime that could transfer to your lenses. Use a lint-free towel to dry your hands.
Rinse Your Glasses Under Lukewarm Tap Water
2. Rinse your glasses under a gentle stream of tap water to remove dust and debris, which can help avoid scratches when cleaning them. Avoid hot water as it can damage the lens coatings.
Apply a Small Amount of Lotion-Free Dish Soap to Each Lens
3. Apply a small drop of fragrant-free, lotion-free dish soap to each lens and use your fingertips to distribute the soap on your lenses and frames.
Rinse Lenses & Frames Thoroughly
4. Under a gentle stream of tap water, rinse both sides of the lenses and the frames to remove all the dish soap.
Carefully Dry Lenses & Frames with a Clean, Lint-Free Towel
5. Use a clean and dry lint-free towel to carefully wipe glasses dry. Wipe in a side to side motion. Be careful not to wipe in a circular motion as doing so could grind any remaining dirt or debris into the lenses and damage them.
Inspect the Lenses Again & Wipe Clean Any Remaining Smudges
6. Check to see if any streaks or smudges remain and remove them with a clean, lint-free towel.
Following simple steps to clean your glasses is effective in keeping your vision clear and avoiding damage to your frames and lenses. There are some household products that should not be used, including paper towel, napkin, tissues or toilet paper. Paper products like these can scratch or smear lenses or leave them full of lint. Other household products to avoid include glass or surface cleaners as their ingredients may cause damage to lens coatings.